Thursday, March 10, 2011

My Favorite Patterns





Patterns, these are my favorites. I have many of them photographed but not yet uploaded. I will be adding photos in the near future. In the meanwhile you might have some success putting the patten numbers and company names in a search engine.

Remember: Pattern companies use the same # for different patterns. Most of these
McCall's & Simplicity patterns are old but come up on the internet for sale. The
current patterns that you can purchase easily are from Sense and Sensibility,
Folkwear, the new Buttericks that I mention below and the Paisley Pincushion.

McCall's 6041 Jumper w/dress:


I've made this 6 times using different fabric each time. There are photos of these already here.

The first one I made looks a lot like the pattern cover, same colors, only much
smaller print for the pink & blue floral. I sewed the dress in white and it
looks exactly like the pattern cover.

That worked so well that I sewed it in:

Solid colonial blue with white piping
Dark Red with little faint black roses on it
Dark Purple with little faint black floral pattern on it
Orange and dark Red (very summery) floral
Solid Black Corduroy

I've worn these for 20 years.

I can wear almost anything under them. Blouses, Long sleeve T-Shirts, the
"night-gown" like dress that comes with the pattern, flannel shirts, summer
weight dresses, night gowns of all kinds--because they look like a blouse under
the Jumper. I can wear a flannel slip or petticoat under for extra fullness.

I added side ties at the waist even though the pattern doesn't call for them.
That way I control the fit. I used these during pregnancies and when not
pregnant too.

There is a jumper exactly like it by Sense and Sensibility called the "Romantic
Era Dress Pattern."

There is a jumper that looks like it but is different by the Paisley Pincushion
that I made in a medium light purple print. They call that pattern the Jumper
Dress. I have photos of this pattern already here.

There are good apron patterns they can be aprons or be worn as jumpers:

McCall's 4229 ---called Misses' Pioneer Costumes. You get a dress, a full Jumper
like Apron with flounce, and a bonnet.

McCall's 6135 ----called Misses Jumper, blouse, petticoat and Appliqués. I've sewn the petticoat from this pattern many times. I like it in flannel, both black and in white. I made it in Taffeta and have made skirts from it too. I have not made the Jumper part of this one. This one has its own post dated 5-24-11.

This is a pretty Apron from McCall's "Crafts" it is complicated, not a fast and
easy pattern but it's worth the extra time. It's # 5174. I really like it and have worn it for 20 years.

I have recently sewn McCalls M4548 "Early American Costume" which includes a chemise (photo is already posted here in white). Also included is a nice looking dress, a half apron, and a bonnet which is more like a prayer cap.

I have made New Look 6097 --- in a summer fabric. It's a nice dress and one
version comes with an attached shawl.

I have made Simplicity 4055---the Regency Dress. The pattern was created by the woman who runs Sense and Sensibility. It's okay, not quite as modest as I would have liked but that is fixable with a sweater or shawl. I have pictures and a full "review" of this pattern in a more recent entry.

I have made Simplicity 8006 ----with the stand up collar in a plaid flannel that
looks like high-end velvet. It was such a high quality fabric that it has lasted
me for years. This has a dropped waist rather than a natural waist or an empire
waist. I have pictures and an entry for this pattern too.

I have made McCall's 6126---- and it would be an easy way to make a "plain"
dress. It looks like a button down the front version of the cape-dress, without
the cape.

I have made lots of other patterns, such as sweatshirts, pajamas, swimsuits,
etc, that I won't mention.

Now I want to bring up some more Sense and Sensibility patterns:

Try visiting: www.sensibility.com

A Romantic Blouse---I have the pattern but I have not sewed it yet. It is a lot
like the "under-dress" that comes with the McCall's dress and pattern that I
made so many times. It's the blouse that this company puts under their Jumper
pattern mentioned above. I had one sewn for me which I haven't worn yet.

An Edwardian Apron---I have the pattern but I have not sewed it yet. I have paid
to have it sewn for me twice. It's a good pattern, very well known.

I have 2 new Butterick Patterns:

B5362 which is a very unusual sleeveless dress---or I'd wear it as a Jumper. It
can be baggie or tied in front or tied in back. It's a strange shape and I look
forward to trying this one.

and........

4030 Butterick for a "fast and easy" cape. I'm either going to use this or the
Folkwear cape pattern (below)---I will know soon.

Then there are 2 Birch Street Clothing patterns that sew up pretty but they have
me frightened. I have the spiral Jumper and the spiral skirt. I fear these. I've
seen them made and they are outstanding but I think I am going to run into
trouble due to not having a serger, not having a cover stitch machine and having
to work with rayon type fabrics with a standard machine. So I have not tried
them yet.

Now for Folkwear:

Try visiting: www.folkwear.com

#201 Prairie Dress---------------wow and super wow. I really like this one. It
comes with a half apron. I sewed it in light blue calico. It is fantastic and
VERY full.

I finally sewed this:

#253 Vintage Bathing Costume --I down-played the sailor collar by not using a contrasting color. It comes with a bonnet that they call a "bathing cap" which looks cute. The pattern is based on the 1890 swimsuit. There is a knee length romper, a modesty bib, and a skirt that goes over the whole thing. This was challenging but fun. Photos ARE NOW posted.


Here are the others that I have collected a little at a time but have not yet
sewn:

#206 Quilted Prairie Skirt

#209 Walking Skirt

#123 Austrian Dirndl----which I would alter the neck-line so that's it's not the
"eye-catching" bosom that the creator was going for. This is like a Jumper-dress
and it comes with a half apron.

#230 Model "T" Duster, aka ... a coat.

#203 Edwardian Underthings comes with bloomers (or drawers), camisole, petticoat

#126 Vests from Greece and Poland. I will be making the long Vest of this. I have the fabric and I'm sure that lots of different kinds of fabrics would work for this.

#132 Another cape called the Moroccan Burnoose. I'm going to compare the
instructions and pattern to the fast and easy Butterick cape above. May the best
pattern win.

#266 Greek Island Dress----I can see possibilities galore with this. That double
cape-like shawl feature could be lengthened and it could be a very creative way
to be modest. I'm really looking forward to experimenting with this.

#128 Russian Settlers' ---I'm excited by the this one too. I like the apron
pattern here, can hardly wait to try this. I'm intrigued by the giant blouse
that comes with it---I love giant, comfy clothes.


One last tip is Park Bench patterns. I haven't sewn their patterns but they look
like they would be great for modesty and for "plainness."

Try visiting: www.parkbenchpatterns.com

4 comments:

  1. I have not heard of Park Bench patterns. I do have my favorite dress pattern that is very simple and easy to sew and I can nearly do it with my eyes closed. It fits just loose enough to make me happy as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your sewing patterns...I have sewn the B5362. I don't think you would like it as a jumper...the dress itself does not have much shape. But it was fun to sew.

    M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You are so industrious Clevsea!
    I really must put more effort into sewing garments for myself.
    I'll have to check out some of these patterns.
    Thank you, for the inspiration :-)
    bless you..Trish

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Very awesome blog. I love looking at all of your pictures! Great place for ideas :) -Nicole

    ReplyDelete